Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Today my facebook has been full of status' about Ash Wednesday and Lent. I realized that I didn't (probably still don't) know a lot about this Catholic Holiday. So, I went to Wikipedia (like any student would do). I learned a lot about this holiday, and find it pretty interesting. Ash Wednesday is always 46 days before Easter Sunday, 40 not counting Sundays. The 40 days has a lot of symbolism from the Bible, the 40 days Moses spent on Mount Siani, 40 days of rain in Noah's day, and Jesus' fast. On Ash Wednesday there is a special mass ceremony with the marking of the cross on the follower's foreheads. The cross is marked with ash by the priest or minister. The members then give up something for their lent fast for the next 40 days. The members do these things to get ready for the Easter holiday. I was really impressed by this tradition. What a great concept to spend some time each year dedicated to bettering ourselves and preparing. I think that we should not only spend our 40 days a year but spend everyday giving up our bad habits and preparing for Jesus Christ to return again. That's what this life is about; getting ready to meet our Lord and Savior again, to become the greatest people that we can be, ultimately to become like Him. So, my roommate Lisa and I have decided to give something up for Lent. Mostly because we think it is a really neat idea to work towards. For the next 4o days I am giving up chocolate and saying things I shouldn't about people. And Lisa is giving up eating after 9 and listening to music with swearing. Starting today, so in 40 days we'll let you know how it goes!
Lilly

PS- Read up on Ash Wednesday and Lent, it is really interesting!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Dear Lilly,

Remember that we do this every first Sunday of the month. I'm impressed with your willingness to do this on a much longer scale. Awesome!!

P.S. Way to show your true student-ness!